Well, some progress has been made but less than I’d hoped.
Here’s what we started with Saturday morning, the ‘amazing’ collection of shelving and workbench built by the son of the our houses previous owner:
It’s not really clear in this picture but neither the shelves or the bench are level in any direction, and the shelves are actually bowed. (And were like that when we moved in.) They came down very easily – which was frightening considering how much I’d loaded them down. It seems they were only standing from force of habit.
Here’s where we stand on Monday morning after several false starts, ‘do-overs’ and screwups:
The wall the new bench will call home is clear, and in the foreground you can see the top to the new bench. No closeups as it isn’t exactly pretty… Let’s just say it has been a major learning experience.
Probably not much is going to get done today with friends coming over for a Labor Day party and because I need to redesign a joint in the bench supports. Right before knocking off work yesterday, I realized I had three screws occupying the same volume of wood…
-- Derek, Bremerton WA --