Things in work:
- Almost finished with cleaning and moving things into the storage room. Just a few more hours of work to be done there. It was a bummer this weekend to dismantle my clamp rack and move my toolboxes and clamps into the storage room. Even with the big power tools still being in the shop area, moving the clamps and tools out seemed to me to mark a major transition from a workshop to just-an-empty-space.
- Working with an electrical contractor to come up with a plan that fits my budget and the building code. Sadly, this seems to mean that the 220v upgrade is off the table. Since upgrading to 220v tools is years away due to budget issue (unless we hit the lottery), this is an inconvenience rather than a problem or disaster.
Things that need to be done this week:
- Finalize the electrical plan and bid.
- Make a final decision and get bids on the windows.
- Make a final decision and get bids on the insulation system. (Walls only, the ceiling will be done separately later.)
Things I’m trying to avoid obsessing about:
- Shop organization. I really need to spend another year in the shop learning my workflow before starting to spend time and money on permanent fixtures.
- Upcoming projects. I have two project with hard deadlines the first weekend in June and the first weekend in July. (Though the July one is self imposed and can be deferred to Christmas.) So after the remodel is finished, I’ll have to unpack, set up, and start rolling pretty quickly.
Things aren’t in a crisis stage yet, but much the slack I originally built into my schedule has vanished. Really, all there is to do now is cross my fingers and plow ahead.
-- Derek, Bremerton WA --