LumberJocks

Wine Rack Expedition

  • Advertise with us
Blog series by Demowen updated 06-25-2009 03:17 AM 9 parts 17355 reads 35 comments total

Part 1: Planning process

03-20-2009 06:14 AM by Demowen | 4 comments »

Well folks, this is the first time I’ve ever attempted to document any project that I’ve done, so, hold onto your hats and hopefully I won’t make any major mistakes! I’ll attempt to bring you through the stages of my project with me!! Dreaming Stage / Research StageMy brother’s wedding is coming up in about mid-May and I decided that I wanted to make a small (but tall) wine rack for him and his newlywed. I did some reconnaissance work and found out that his f...

Read this entry »


Part 2: Rough Milling and setting up for detail

03-25-2009 06:06 AM by Demowen | 7 comments »

Well folks, I’ve got almost all of my stock milled down and ready to go! I went to the planing mill (Hicksville Planing Mill) and bought quite a bit of wormy maple. (I believe it is the Ambrosia bug that crawls in the wood and makes all sorts of colors in the surrounding wood. It is also called Ambrosia Maple) I was in for quite a surprise! I was looking for some spalted maple, but this stuff was only $1.75 a B.F.!!!I bought all I needed (and then some), they even surfaced it f...

Read this entry »


Part 3: Dowling and.... more dowling

03-26-2009 07:26 AM by Demowen | 2 comments »

Well, unfortunately there isn’t a whole lot of content to go through for this step since it is pretty much doing the same thing over and over again. I marked out on the legs where I want the rails to go. I had to alter some measurements from the plans since the rails are now 3.5” instead of 4” wide. I wanted to get all of the front and side pieces out of the same board and this was the price I paid. No biggie, will look about the same in the end. So the lines were all...

Read this entry »


Part 4: Result of Monotony

03-28-2009 06:34 AM by Demowen | 5 comments »

Well folks, 160 dowel holes later, I’m ready to call it quits. I don’t mind hard work, but repetition drives me crazy! Here is a snapshot of some of those dowel holes…Now, notice the markings on the end grain. This is important to me so that I don’t keep having to second guess myself when I am putting things together. I have those pieces marked ‘L’ or ‘R’ for left or right and numbered from top to bottom. I mark all the pieces on the right ...

Read this entry »


Part 5: Glass racks

03-31-2009 06:03 AM by Demowen | 2 comments »

Well folks, I think it was another productive day in the shop. The objective today was to get all of the parts created, but not necesarrily 100% ready for glue up or finish sanding. Misson accomplished- sort of. The first obstacle was to figure out how I wanted to join the wine glass holder rails. They are positioned horizontally (like a shelf) where all the rest of the rails to this point have been vertical (like a skirt table). I’ve been using a self-centering doweling jig fo...

Read this entry »


Part 6: Glue ups and some other stuff

04-01-2009 06:45 AM by Demowen | 5 comments »

Well Folks, it’s been a super-productive day for me (as productive as a full time student with a part time job, a ministry, a woodworking hobby and a girlfriend can be :) ). Before I glued up the rails to the legs I had to take care of some cosmetic details. I measured 1” from every outer bottom corner of the legs and up 3” in the opposing side. I drew a line to connect these marks on the edges and cut them out on the band saw for the foot detail. As you can see, the b...

Read this entry »


Part 7: The end in sight... yet...

04-02-2009 07:16 AM by Demowen | 4 comments »

Well Folks, I did what I could today. It was a long day of work and hospital visits so shop time was certainly limited to a few hours late into the night. I left a bit of a glue mess on my back assembly last night so I paid the price for it today.Now, that picture was just to show the assembly without clamps, but this one should be better…and some more….I had a few pictures of my lady checking my sanding job but they all were too blurry. She walked around it and made sure I d...

Read this entry »


Part 8: Finishing Process Begun.....

04-11-2009 06:55 AM by Demowen | 2 comments »

Howdy Folks, It’s been a little while since I posted the last blog on the wine rack and it will probably be longer yet till I get the next one out. Here are a few quick pics and such on the finishing process I’m experimenting with…First I taped off the parts that will be a future glue joint. I don’t want the finish the obstruct the glue’s ability to bond the two surfaces together. Then I put on a coat of some good ol’ BLO.. After a day or so (or u...

Read this entry »


Part 9: Inlay, wood burning and the finish line.... YAY :)

06-25-2009 03:17 AM by Demowen | 4 comments »

Well folks, it has been quite a while since I’ve been able to get on here and talk about the project. If you haven’t read any of the previous blogs, this is a wine rack that I built for my brother’s wedding. If you want the basic construction, see the prior posts. From here on is the little decoration details… I hope I don’t have too many pictures ;). I think I’ll let the pictures do some of the talking for me but I want to capture the whole process....

Read this entry »



DISCLAIMER: Any posts on LJ are posted by individuals acting in their own right and do not necessarily reflect the views of LJ. LJ will not be held liable for the actions of any user.

Latest Projects | Latest Blog Entries | Latest Forum Topics

HomeRefurbers.com

Latest Projects | Latest Blog Entries | Latest Forum Topics

GardenTenders.com :: gardening showcase