LumberJocks

Wine Rack Expedition #8: Finishing Process Begun.....

  • Advertise with us
Blog entry by Demowen posted 1968 days ago 1082 reads 0 times favorited 2 comments Add to Favorites Watch
« Part 7: The end in sight... yet... Part 8 of Wine Rack Expedition series Part 9: Inlay, wood burning and the finish line.... YAY :) »

Howdy Folks, It’s been a little while since I posted the last blog on the wine rack and it will probably be longer yet till I get the next one out. Here are a few quick pics and such on the finishing process I’m experimenting with…
First I taped off the parts that will be a future glue joint. I don’t want the finish the obstruct the glue’s ability to bond the two surfaces together.
DSC04444

Then I put on a coat of some good ol’ BLO..
DSC04448

After a day or so (or untill totally dry) I mixed up some….
DSC04446
with…
DSC04447
in a glass Jar.
DSC04445
I used about a 50/50 mix but I after the first coat or two I thought it was a little thin so I added some more poly to thicken up the mixture. Also, in the future, I think I would put the mineral spirits in the jar first because the poly is thicker and will take less time to mix if the thinner material is on the bottom. This really is working out great so far. I can just wipe it on with a clean rag and barely have to sand it at all between coats. I’d always rather wipe on a finish than brush it on, but thats me. I hate painting and brushing. Wiping feels a little more personal to me. I think it can also be a little therapudic to wipe on, but maybe thats just the fumes ;). This deal with this is to do as many coats as you can stand! I’ve done three so far.

So after this all dried (I have many more coats to go) I moved it into another room because I have to help the lady with a big school project, -to synthesize two archetectural styles into one. I helped her chose both Classical Greek and Asian archetcture into a jewelry chest. This was quite a challenge to draw up!

Here’s what I started out with…
P4050237

I only drew one half because I stink at making the two sides match in sketches. I’ve sinced changed my plans a little to be more feasible to complete by the 23rd (OH BOY!) What do you guys think? Succesfull synthesis? I’d love to get some opinions on this one!

-- Let the favor of the Lord our God be on us; establish the work of our hands- establish the work of our hands! Psalm 90:17



2 comments so far

View lew's profile

lew

10006 posts in 2390 days


#1 posted 1968 days ago

Looks good!

Sometimes, trying to keep to a schedule can take all of the fun out of a project.

Lew

-- Lew- Time traveler. Purveyor of the Universe's finest custom rolling pins.

View Demowen's profile

Demowen

120 posts in 2032 days


#2 posted 1968 days ago

Amen to that Lew! I can’t stand schedules sometimes. It sure doesn’t help getting my schoolwork done when I feel that project deadline breathing down my neck. It becomes way too easy to say “Oh, well, I HAVE to go to the shop :).

-- Let the favor of the Lord our God be on us; establish the work of our hands- establish the work of our hands! Psalm 90:17

Have your say...

You must be signed in to post the comments.

DISCLAIMER: Any posts on LJ are posted by individuals acting in their own right and do not necessarily reflect the views of LJ. LJ will not be held liable for the actions of any user.

Latest Projects | Latest Blog Entries | Latest Forum Topics

HomeRefurbers.com

Latest Projects | Latest Blog Entries | Latest Forum Topics

GardenTenders.com :: gardening showcase