Well Folks, it’s been a super-productive day for me (as productive as a full time student with a part time job, a ministry, a woodworking hobby and a girlfriend can be :) ).
Before I glued up the rails to the legs I had to take care of some cosmetic details. I measured 1” from every outer bottom corner of the legs and up 3” in the opposing side. I drew a line to connect these marks on the edges and cut them out on the band saw for the foot detail.
As you can see, the band saw left things pretty rough, but after a little bit of sanding, no problem. No matter how precise I try to be, there is always human error, none of these things line up exactly on the meeting edge, Luckily the sander took care of that right quick… sorry for the blur
So when they were all pretty much done, you can get an idea of what this will do to the overall piece…
At this point I felt confident enough to get to scraping, sanding and filling. Now, I don’t know what everyone else does, but since I already scraped all the surfaces earlier, I just jumped right up to a 220 grit on my Random Obit sander. I know that is probably not the right thing to do but, honestly, the surface felt great. I guess the scraper really just prepped it for me that much!
Now, I can’t stress to you how important it is to dry fit everything before you go to your glue ups. I say that with emphasis because I didn’t on my first step. I thought “ah, it’s all good enough” and had to pay for it with unneeded stress in the glue up. A couple of my dowel pins were a hair too long so that it wouldn’t pull in tight. I had to pull the rail out and saw the tip of the dowel off. Now I got glue on my saw, a waste of time in a glue up and just the pain of it not being exactly right.
I glued one side and then put the dowels in to glue the opposing side. And, of course, since I didn’t dry fit each peg, some of them were too difficult to line up in a short amount of time. So, some of the rails (just one or two) have only one dowel on the left side. I could line one up, but not both. It is okay thought because it is still going to be strong enough for it’s use and will be parallel to the legs since the other side has all the dowels in it (luckily). So I finally got this bad boy clamped…
After a brunch break I glued up the rails to the back right leg. I only dry fit the left side in at this time because it was too many dowels to handle at once. I dry fit all the dowels before hand and did not have as many problems.
Notice that I ran out of long enough clamps? I had to improvise with those black and yellow clamps. I thought it was funny.
When that glue up was finished I cleaned up any glue spots left over on the front assembly (legs and rails). Once everything was hunky dory I taped up the dowel holes that will receive the side rails.
I did this so none of my finish will get into the holes and prevent the glue from bonding with the opposing surface. I wiped on a liberal amount of Boiled Linseed oil all over the front assembly. I figured I might as well do this while I have full and easy access to both sides. Look at the difference between the oiled and un-oiled rails…
and then, after a few minutes I came back with a dry rag to wipe up any excess and half buff the finish.
Now it is about enough time to remove my clamps from the glue up. This time I set the clamps on my bench and set the assembly on top of it, I thought it would be easier this way, it was.
While that glue up was drying I decided to work on some problem areas for the table top. The top has some hairline cracks on the bottom of one edge. I wanted to nip that in the bud so I used my brand spanking new Dremel router kit to do a butterfly inlay. That thing actually worked out great!
You can see that the butterfly is still sitting proud of the surface, I have to plane it down once the glue cures. If anyone needs to see how that is done, just let me know and I will explain it later. Pretty easy.
Well folks, that’s all I got done today. After all that I had to get going to work. To come is probably some more glue ups, more BLO finish and perhaps getting the table top ready. Eventually I want to get to the veneer inlay! Soon enough…
-- Let the favor of the Lord our God be on us; establish the work of our hands- establish the work of our hands! Psalm 90:17