Well folks, I’ve got almost all of my stock milled down and ready to go!
I went to the planing mill (Hicksville Planing Mill) and bought quite a bit of wormy maple. (I believe it is the Ambrosia bug that crawls in the wood and makes all sorts of colors in the surrounding wood. It is also called Ambrosia Maple)
I was in for quite a surprise! I was looking for some spalted maple, but this stuff was only $1.75 a B.F.!!!
I bought all I needed (and then some), they even surfaced it for me at no charge!
I figure that this will look pretty nice with the cherry, especially when it ages.
I made some templates to cut out the different wine rack portions. I simply drew up the plan on the template and cut close to the line with a band saw. I don’t have an oscillating spindle sander so I just chucked up a drum sander on my drill press. Worked just fine!
and the bottom detail…
I ripped the large 8/4 cherry board into 3 strips for the legs. One strip was cut in half to be the shorter front two legs. I cut five 31” pieces (4 maple 1 cherry) for the front and sides. I wanted the grain to wrap around the front so I cut the front and side pieces out of the same board (7.5”, 16”, 7.5”). The back rail was from a different board because I didn’t have enough to make four back pieces. It doesn’t matter as much as the front three pieces anyhow.
Here are the pieces all laid out and ready for shaping and joinery.
This shows the grain flow from the front to sides
Notice the chalk triangles. I do this simply to keep my pieces aligned and in order. You can see some mill marks that I will have to get into order here later with my scraper.
That’s about it for now, up to come… cutting the shapes in the rails, cutting the top, joinery and who knows what else.
-- Let the favor of the Lord our God be on us; establish the work of our hands- establish the work of our hands! Psalm 90:17