LumberJocks

Project - Chunky Boxes #3: Milling the Lumber part 2

  • Advertise with us
Blog entry by Dekker posted 2443 days ago 737 reads 0 times favorited 0 comments Add to Favorites Watch
« Part 2: Tuning Tools Part 3 of Project - Chunky Boxes series no next part

At the end of my last blog entry for this project, I had my pieces rough milled. Well, since then I have given the sides of the boxes its 30’ miter, and used my recently-tuned miter saw to cut the sides with nice clean miters. Once that was done, I needed to put the finger-hole for removing the lid onto the “front” of the box. To do this, I needed a 3/4” forstner bit, which has a nice flat bottom. To get the curve I needed, I needed to place the center of the bit 3/32” off the edge, at the exact center. I accomplished this by marking the exact center of my front piece, then clamping my front piece next to a sacrificial board (actually, my current push-stick). I then used my square to draw a line onto the edge of my sacrificial piece, and I marked the 3/32” mark using the push-pin marker. It has the benefit of being far more accurate than a thick pencil tip, and it also gives my drill a pilot hole for its center piont!

There you have it. My boxes are dry-assembled.

Of course, all boxes need some glue, and again I neglected my inner wisdom and went for my clamps. When will I learn to use the masking tape??

While the sides of the box were being glued, I started on the tops for the boxes. For this, I decided to use some bird’s eye maple. Since the board I wanted to use was only skip-dressed (very rough), I needed to do some heavy planing and jointing. I only needed about 6” of the wood, but I cut off 12” or so because
  • I knew it would be a pain to joint and plane shorter pieces
  • I knew I’d eventually need small pieces in the future

So after slicing off 12”, then squaring my 12×6” block, I split it in two with the tablesaw (to give me 2-1/2 wide pieces), and split one of those pieces on the bandsaw so each was just over 3/8” thick. I re-planed the exposed sides, then cut from that my two box tops. I cut them just slightly oversized, since I wanted to trim them to a tolerance of about 1/32 or so, but I couldn’t actually drop in my blanks until the clamps came off.

So that is where I left this project for now. Maybe one more day for fabrication (sanding the tops, sanding the boxes), then a few layers of oil or an oil varnish. Want to get that bird’s-eye to sparkle!

-- Dekker - http://www.WoodworkDetails.com/



0 comments so far

Have your say...

You must be signed in to post the comments.

DISCLAIMER: Any posts on LJ are posted by individuals acting in their own right and do not necessarily reflect the views of LJ. LJ will not be held liable for the actions of any user.

Latest Projects | Latest Blog Entries | Latest Forum Topics

HomeRefurbers.com

Latest Projects | Latest Blog Entries | Latest Forum Topics

GardenTenders.com :: gardening showcase