Since I don’t have one of those fancy japanese saw blades with no set, I sanded the keys off with 100 grit (being careful to stop before touching the box), then taking the rest off with 150 grit and finishing the entire box with 220. Of course, I decided to take it one step further, and I went over it again very gently with 320 grit. I then did a quick vacuuming of my work area, and got things prepared.
The end of this pair of boxes is now in sight. Here you can see the two boxes laid out on my tablesaw ready to be finished.
For a variety of reasons, I am going to finish the boxes with pure Tung oil, and then topcoated with a few coats of shellac. This first application is a VERY THIN coat of Tung, probably 3/4 spirits and 1/4 pure tung oil.
You can really see the difference in colour between the bare/raw lacewood (left) and the lacewood with the tung oil on it.
I just love the pattern that is visible on this lacewood. I won’t be able to see these boxes in the daylight until the weekend, so I’m anxious to get the finish applied so I can see the full effect this weekend.
What can I say… I really love the look of “wet” wood!
Though it looks exactly like the last photo, this one is after 5 minutes of soaking in, and after I wiped off the surface excess.
These next two shots are of the same box top, but from different angles. I was trying to capture that chatroyance that shows itself in lacewood (kinda like those “dunescape” boxes someone else posted). Unfortunately, being in an unfinished state and way too many fluorescent lights being used, the effect is very minimal at this time… I’ll have to see after I’m all finished!
I had some “issues” with my mitered joints, namely my forgetting the technique of taping the joint prior to glueup… but after adding the keys, I think things came out pretty good.
And here is a quick demo of the lever action box top. Douglas Bordner and CajunPen were curious to see it in action, so here it is!
I think there will only be one more entry for this pair of boxes: final pure tung coats then shellacing. Then they’ll be off to the Projects page!
I know, most woodworkers would have gotten to this step in a day, but it’s the best I can do with family life and a new baby :) And who knows, in 10 years, I may have a “helper” who’ll want to make a birdhouse, dollhouse, doghouse…
-- Dekker - http://www.WoodworkDetails.com/