LumberJocks

Making a Game for $5.00 #3: Prepping the Tiles

  • Advertise with us
Blog entry by Deela40 posted 12-20-2009 01:57 AM 2652 reads 0 times favorited 3 comments Add to Favorites Watch
« Part 2: Starting to Take Shape Part 3 of Making a Game for $5.00 series Part 4: Putting it Together »

Last night I worked on getting the tiles cut up and prepped for painting the numbers.

I decided to go with 12 tiles as opposed to 10. I wouldn’t have enough room to put the numbers on 10-12 if I made all the tiles the same size as they would bee to small to get two numbers on. I remedied this by making two different sizes. I made nine tiles sized (7/8 inch) for numbers 1-9 and three (1 9/16 inches) for numbers 10-12.

After I finished all the measurements, I used my miter saw to make the cuts.

Then I used my drill press to get the holes. I used a 13/64 inch bit as this allows the tiles to move freely on the 3/16 inch rod. I used a small vice to hold the tiles in place. I put some saran wrap in the vice to keep the tiles clean as it is a bit greasy.

I am a little disappointed on how this part ended up. I didn’t take the time to ensure consistency in hole placement so I ended up with the tiles sitting unevenly on the rod.

Then I used my orbital sander to sand the sides down as I hadn’t done that after cutting the tiles up.

After that, I put some walnut oil on. I am pretty pleased with how the oil made the grain pop out and I think it will look good against the darker base.

Today, I have been working on getting the numbers on the tiles and tonight, I plan on gluing the base together. Then tomorrow, I can finish up by putting walnut oil on the base, leaving enough time to let it soak in and be ready for the party on Monday night.

I didn’t spend any more money so my total spent is still $3.65.

Check back tomorrow for another update.



3 comments so far

View stefang's profile

stefang

13633 posts in 2088 days


#1 posted 12-20-2009 02:05 PM

Can’t you tape the tiles together and run them through your tablesaw to even them up.

-- Mike, an American living in Norway.

View Deela40's profile

Deela40

42 posts in 1842 days


#2 posted 12-21-2009 03:38 PM

That would help a little, but I didn’t quite get all the holes in the centered on the sides so some stick up a little more than others. Thanks for the suggestion.

View dlmckirdy's profile

dlmckirdy

195 posts in 1887 days


#3 posted 12-21-2009 07:28 PM

Leave them on the rod, clamp them between two pieces of wood, and sand them even. Then turn them over and sand the other end even.

Looking good!

-- Doug, Bakersfield, CA - I measured twice, cut it twice, and it is still too short!

Have your say...

You must be signed in to post the comments.

DISCLAIMER: Any posts on LJ are posted by individuals acting in their own right and do not necessarily reflect the views of LJ. LJ will not be held liable for the actions of any user.

Latest Projects | Latest Blog Entries | Latest Forum Topics

HomeRefurbers.com

Latest Projects | Latest Blog Entries | Latest Forum Topics

GardenTenders.com :: gardening showcase