I think the most frustrating part of this basement shop set up so far has been the walls. My old shop was frame construction and the walls were all plywood. That made hanging tools and cabinets no problem. There were many times that I would randomly hammer in a nail so I could quickly hang a tool.
To hang shelves and cabinets in my new shop I figured Tapcon screws were the way to go so I went out and bought a big box of them. I have never really had to drill through concrete before so I wasn’t sure what I was in for. I went to hang something the other day and quickly realized my drill was not cut out for the job. Just drilling one hole into the wall felt like it took me an hour. Then when I went to drive one of the screws my drill gave up on me. It just didn’t have the power to drive the Tapcon all the way in. I had to finish the screw by hand. Just getting the one screw in was way more work then I was expecting. I used this as an excuse to buy a new drill or two…
A quick run to Home Depot where I picked up a hammer drill and impact driver.. I got the Ryobi 18v Lithium set. My other drill is Ryobi so I already had the batteries.
The hammer drill worked a LOT better. It drilled through the concrete with ease. Then I drove the screw with the impact driver and that had no problem driving it in. It made using the Tapcon screws easy. I probably could have just got the hammer drill and used that to drive the screws as well but I think the impact driver will come in handy for other jobs down the road as well. I no longer fear drilling into concrete.
Here is one of the plywood panels I put up. I plan on covering this panel with french cleats to hang my different hand tools.
-- Dan - "Collector of Hand Planes"