Just the other day I posted a blog on the completed restoration of my Stanley #6. Well last night I finished up my Stanley #3 and took some final after pictures for this blog.
I have been working on this plane for months. As with a lot of my planes I got this one off of ebay. The plane was in rough shape as you can see in the photos. All the pieces were heavily rusted, the rear handle was broke at the top and the top of the frog was broken off. You can see in the before pictures that the lateral adjustment is missing from the frog. I went ahead and restored the body and small parts and then set them aside. After a couple months of searching ebay I finally found and won an auction for a #3 frog that would fit my plane.
Due to the heavy rust there was some pitting on the sides of the body that I just couldn’t get out. Also the blade was to badly rusted to restore to user condition so I am going to be buying a replacement blade and breaker for this plane soon. I didn’t bother to fix or replace the handle. Even though the top is broke off it still works just fine for a user plane.
-- Dan - "Collector of Hand Planes"