After many weeks of hunting and bidding on Ebay I was finally able to win an auction for a Stanley #6 at a decent price. The #6 planes usually sell somewhere around the 50 dollar range and I got this one for 38 dollars. My goal is to someday have the whole set of Stanley bench planes #1 through #8. I am only 3 shy of my goal excluding the 4 1/2, 5 1/4 and 5 1/2. I still need 1, 2 and 8. I don’t see 1 or 2 ending up in my collection anytime soon but the hunt is on for the #8! Stay tuned!
The #6 I got was in really good shape so it wasn’t to hard of a restore. The most time consuming part was the sole. It is actually a 6C so it has groves on the bottom. The groves were pretty clogged up with dirt. I used my Dremmel tool with wire brush to get most of it out and then did the rest by hand with tooth brush and Q-tips.
For this plane I tried something new for the wood knob and tote. I had been sanding the handles starting with 180 grit and working up to 800 grit. It was a lot of work and I noticed the Rosewood turning a really dark almost black like color after applying a finish. With this planes Rosewood I eliminated sand paper and used abrasive pads only. I started with the green abrasive pad followed by the silver then finished with the white which is very fine. I didn’t spend nearly as much time as I did when I used sand paper and I am a lot happier with the results.
The before pictures were taken with my cell phone so they are not all that great. I don’t have a nice shaving picture yet as I am still working on the blade.
I should have some more stuff up soon. I am currently working on a few planes which have been a ton of fun for me to work on so far. I am completely restoring a #45 combination plane as well as a #48 T&G plane. There is so much detail in the bodies of these planes that cleaning them has been a real challenge. I hope to have them finished soon.
Thanks for looking!
-- Dan - "Collector of Hand Planes"