BEFORE I START, IF YOU READ THIS, AND CAN OFFER ADVICE, I’D LOVE TO HEAR IT. THANKS IN ADVANCE!!!!!
Ok, after collecting information from a couple key people, and looking carefully at my pieces, I’ve moved on to Sample #2.
First things first. NEW CLAMPS!!!!! Not the best, but all I could get for now.
On to business. More blanks, 10 this time.
For these, I used a sanding block and norton 3x sandpaper. This was slow, but quiet as it was about 9:00PM when I started, and I’m in my apartment. So, i made about 50-60 passes on each side with 60 grit, adding more to clear up deeper scratches, etc… then moved on to about 30 passes per side with 150, then onto about 15 with 220. They look nice and smooth on top. I spent about 10 minutes total per piece. Then I spent about 5-10 minutes carefully placing them side by side, seeing which fit the tightest together, and which looked good side-by-side. One ended up loking bad, so I did an extra one I had to make up for it.
Time for GLU!!! Titebond II, using a makeshift glue-brush (my index finger) spread the glue between each piece.
Then I clamped it down for about an hour.
Finally, unclamped, resanded top and sides at 60, 150, and 220 again, probably 10 passes each grit.
THE REST OF THE PICTURES ARE THE FINISHED PIECE WITH ONE COAT OF MINERAL OIL.
I let it soak for about an hour in mineral oil, then wiped it off for pictures. The first 4 below I used a flash so it would highlight all the colors in the grains. The last image is how it looks when you’re holding it.
The FINISHED (for now) piece!!! Took from 9:00AM-1:00AM, including going back and forth to this blog…
Please feel free to comment!! Thanks and I hope others are picking up things from my mistakes and learning difficulties. Enjoy!