LumberJocks

Building a Goat Barn #4: Finally Some Woodworking!

  • Advertise with us
Blog entry by David Bareford posted 07-30-2014 07:21 PM 791 reads 0 times favorited 1 comment Add to Favorites Watch
« Part 3: Preparing the Timbers and Digging the Site Out Part 4 of Building a Goat Barn series Part 5: Retaining Wall Setback... »

As May rolled around and the weather grew nicer, I could finally get to work in earnest making the timber wall frames. I was planning for a barn raising sometime in later June, hopefully getting a dozen or so friends and family to help me set the wall frames up and to wrangle the 8 rafters for the roof.

Through a co-worker who was tearing out her deck, I got a good pile of usuable 2×6 boards, some pressure-treated 4×4s, and some concrete footing blocks. I used the 4×4s and 2×6s to build a level framework on which to lay the logs out and be able to work with them more easily.

I did some research about what kind of joinery to use. I wasn’t terribly interested in using modern steel connections, so I cast about for more natural/traditional methods. From Simon Dale's site, I decided to go with half-lapped beams, because the idea of calculating 125-degree mortise angles for an octagon seemed a bit overwhelming. To secure the half-lap joints, I plan on using a central pin of rebar, drilled and driven vertically into the top of the post and through holes in the overlapping beam laps. That pin would also serve as a connection point for the rafters later on.

As a woodworker, my experience is mostly boxes and furniture (more of a joiner than a carpenter), so I figured a couple of half-laps were easy, right? Until I approached the work and it hit home was working with a tapering, round-ISH, irregular log was like! How would I get two co-planar surfaces nearly eight feet apart? It’s not like I could use a plane or even a square to get a true reference face! What to do?

Lucikly, it was Roy Underhill to the rescue (duh, right?). One of his videos showed how to use a chalk line and a level to square a log for hewing, and the technique worked perfectly for making the half-laps match at opposite ends. Once that once done, the next challenge was to make the diagonal braces. These I wanted to do with mortise-and-tenon joints that would be pegged and wedged. Again, it was challenging to figure out how to cut precise joints from a round branch, but that problem was solved by building a square box jig, open on the ends, with one end cut in a 45-degree angle. As I write this, I don’t have a picture of it, but I’ll try to include one later. At any rate, it worked, and the joints came out looking like this:

And here’s how the first henge/wallframe turned out:

It took a long time to make, but luckily I only needed four of them, since the other four walls of the octagon would be created by the addition of the overhead beam.



1 comment so far

View lightweightladylefty's profile

lightweightladylefty

2646 posts in 2367 days


#1 posted 07-31-2014 06:44 AM

David,

It’s looking good . . . and this looks like more fun that all that digging!

L/W

-- Jesus is the ONLY reason for ANY season.

Have your say...

You must be signed in to post the comments.

DISCLAIMER: Any posts on LJ are posted by individuals acting in their own right and do not necessarily reflect the views of LJ. LJ will not be held liable for the actions of any user.

Latest Projects | Latest Blog Entries | Latest Forum Topics

HomeRefurbers.com

Latest Projects | Latest Blog Entries | Latest Forum Topics

GardenTenders.com :: gardening showcase