Cherry Chest Update
I could not resist the new LumberJock CyberToolShare s feature, so I hopped on the internet late one night and borrowed Tom’s Festool Domino. I used the Domino to assemble the frame and panels into the final box.
The Domino was amazingly quick. So quick, that I made a mistake on the first set of mortises. I did not have my alignment faces clearly marked and I referenced of the wrong face! The photo below shows how I corrected the mistake. I glued a domino in the mortise and cut it off flush. I then re-cut the mortise with the correct alignment. Worked great!
I made a small jig to hold the chest stiles firmly while cutting the mortises with the Domino. A small piece of double sick carpet tape gives just the right holding power.
I cut the joinery on the stiles in less than 30 minutes – not including my mistake and fix!
I am just waiting for the 1/4 cherry plywood to arrive so I can cut the panels. After a little more practice with veneering, I plan on making my own panels with MDF hardboard and some interesting wood species to contrast with the cherry frame.
Well, I guess its time to return the Domino to Tom. Thanks Buddy!