Twin screw vise #6: Both jaws on

  • Advertise with us
Blog entry by Dave Polaschek posted 12-09-2017 08:14 PM 487 reads 0 times favorited 4 comments Add to Favorites Watch
« Part 5: Boring the holes Part 6 of Twin screw vise series Part 7: Getting it working »

Since last time, I finished drilling the 3/8” holes to mount the rear vise jaw to the bench. I bolted the jaw on, then put in the vise hardware with the front jaw to make sure everything lined up.

The one departure from plan is that the 5” bolts supplied with the vise were long enough that I needed a little more wood behind the bench apron to hold the nuts. They’re designed to live inside the bench top, and I had initially planned to put a 2×4 behind the apron to carry the nuts, but I decided to just drill 3/8” holes in some scraps and use those for now.

With those mounted, I put the front vise jaw on with the hardware, to make sure it would line up and move smoothly without racking. It seems my holes are parallel enough, as the jaw fits both all the way out and all the way in, and I can get it aligned with the rear jaw without needing to enlarge the holes any.

So, with that fitting, it was time to take everything apart again so I could screw the vise nuts into the rear jaw and then mount it to the bench again. I had to redrill one of the 3/8” holes, as it was off by about 1/16” when I reassembled everything.

And with those in and the rear chop mounted to the bench, it was time to drill the holes for the dowels which will keep a long work-piece from resting on the vise screws.

With the dowels installed in the rear chop of the vise, it was time to put the front chop on again to mark the holes for mounting the vise screws to the front jaw, and also to drill the holes for the dowels to enter the front jaw. Since they’re 3/8” dowels, and I almost certainly didn’t get them lined up exactly, I drilled 15/32” holes.

I had the right idea drilling oversize holes, but they still don’t slide into the front jaw, so I’m going to need to use a tapered reamer to enlarge the holes for the dowels in the front jaw. And I need to taper the front jaw, taking about 7/32 off the bottom of it so the top closes earlier than the bottom. But that’ll be the next blog.

-- Dave - Minneapolis

4 comments so far

View GR8HUNTER's profile


3412 posts in 644 days

#1 posted 12-09-2017 10:27 PM

coming along nicely Dave ….looks really nice …. GREAT JOB :<))


View duckmilk's profile


2705 posts in 1256 days

#2 posted 12-09-2017 11:37 PM

Great progress Dave! Sorry about the dowel holes not lining up.

-- "Duck and Bob would be out doin some farming with funny hats on." chrisstef

View doubleDD's profile (online now)


7216 posts in 1975 days

#3 posted 12-10-2017 01:24 AM

Funny I had the same problem Dave with the holes not lining up. A quick fix and your on your way.

-- Dave, Downers Grove, Il. -------- When you run out of ideas, start building your dreams.

View Dave Polaschek's profile

Dave Polaschek

1718 posts in 514 days

#4 posted 12-10-2017 02:01 AM

Thanks, Tony, Duck, and Dave.

On the dowel holes, I thought about just drilling them from the front of the front vise chop, but thought, no, I’ll manage to line them up. Should’ve listened to the voices in my head, they were right again. ;-) It should be pretty quick to pull the front chop and hit the dowel holes with the tapered reamer. Open them up to about 9/16 and all should be well.

And I have to pull the front chop anyhow to plane a thin quarter inch off the bottom of it anyhow. Just wish my back would let me work at it for more than an hour at a crack. Oh well. It’ll be together soon.

-- Dave - Minneapolis

Have your say...

You must be signed in to post the comments.

DISCLAIMER: Any posts on LJ are posted by individuals acting in their own right and do not necessarily reflect the views of LJ. LJ will not be held liable for the actions of any user.

Latest Projects | Latest Blog Entries | Latest Forum Topics