LumberJocks

Storage Shed Build #1: It all starts with a plan

  • Advertise with us
Blog entry by DaveFFMedic posted 02-11-2018 05:24 PM 495 reads 0 times favorited 0 comments Add to Favorites Watch
no previous part Part 1 of Storage Shed Build series Part 2: Dig, dig, dig »

I began my project with the goal of creating a place to store my new riding lawnmower that would be built tough and have a finished style worthy of Instagram.

I spent the cold, dark winter with a pencil and paper drawing the blueprints for the shed I wanted. It started with a survey of all the things I wanted to store in the shed. Then I figured out how big of a shed I needed to store those things, leaving room for future storage of items. I referenced building codes and created a 3D model of the shed (stick by stick) from the blueprints to make sure all of my measurements were correct. I made drawings of the details like the lofts and rafter/soffit construction to help with obtaining final measurements of the shed.

But before I could start building the new shed, I had to move the old one. It was leaky, the doors didn’t shut right, and it was too small to store everything. I could have torn down the old shed easily, but I needed a place to store my tools while the new shed was being built. So I devised a plan to move the shed.

I would use some shackles attached to the shed, a come-along, and some rebar to winch the shed out of the way. The plan was to move the shed carefully so that it could still be used. I began by emptying the shed to make it as light as possible. I put bracing inside the shed to keep it from twisting and falling apart.

Using a 2 1/2 ton car floor jack, I lifted the shed enough to get a couple of small logs under the 4×4 runners on the shed to act as rollers. Next I drove the rebar into the ground in a 3-2-1 anchor system.

I struggled with this setup and was able to move the shed a few feet but still many feet short of my goal. I gave up on this plan when I noticed the 3-rebar anchor was bent from the tension and broke the 1 1/2 ton come along.

I phoned a friend and upgraded my equipment. We replaced the rebar anchors with a 1” diameter 4 foot long circus tent stake. The broken come along was replaced with a 5:1 short haul pulley system. It worked like a charm. With the two of us pulling on the rope, we easily moved the shed the remaining 10 feet.



0 comments so far

Have your say...

You must be signed in to post the comments.

DISCLAIMER: Any posts on LJ are posted by individuals acting in their own right and do not necessarily reflect the views of LJ. LJ will not be held liable for the actions of any user.

Latest Projects | Latest Blog Entries | Latest Forum Topics

HomeRefurbers.com