Well the glue is dry. I take the clamps off, clean up the backside with a rasp (remove the hard glue drippings so I have a flat surface) and on the bandsaw I cut off the excess. Then I turn the bow on it’s side and plan the side flat. Now I can mark off the handle area and cut it out with the band saw. (Alright now I have to go upstairs and get the camera before I get too far along.)
Now to get the basic shape I clean up the sides with the rasp and plane. Periodically picking up the bow and eyeballing it to make sure it is shaped correctly. I want it nicely tapered from the handle to the tip with the centerline running from tip to tip going through the middle of the handle.
Nice clean glue lines.
Nice and straight. (well as straight as it matters anyway)
A little work with the rasp to shape the belly of the bow. The cross section is this bow is D shaped. I left the wood in the center untouched so I could keep track of where I was in the process. Right now I am just doing some basic shaping. I want to keep both limbs the same thickness for now.
Well that’s about it for tonight. Time to clean up this mess.