LumberJocks

Adventures in Lutherie

  • Advertise with us
Blog series by Dave Rutan updated 01-11-2017 06:52 PM 8 parts 7406 reads 20 comments total

Part 1: Dulcimer Nut and Bridge Replacement

10-29-2014 05:57 PM by Dave Rutan | 6 comments »

Over the summer my wife came home after visiting a former colleague and brought in an oldish mountain dulcimer. It had hung on the wall at her friend’s house and she was wondering if it could be made to play. I’m no expert, but I took a good look at it. It looked to be a genuine mountain dulcimer, not a mere decoration. A label inside says Geoffrey R. Johnson, NOVEMBER 1989. A Google search on that yielded nothing useful. The Nut was broken and the floating bridge was missing,...

Read this entry »


Part 2: Diving in Again: Mountain Dulcimer

11-07-2016 06:01 PM by Dave Rutan | 2 comments »

Heads up! It’s been a while since I built my wife’s 3 string mountain dulcimer. I’ve been promising to make a 4-string for several years. As I write this, I’ve already started cutting wood. I hope to have it done for Christmas. I’ll be posting a build series as well, chiefly because I want to translate it into Esperanto. I’ll have to make a hard case for it as well. ;-)

Read this entry »


Part 3: Oops! I'll use it somewhere

11-13-2016 03:04 AM by Dave Rutan | 1 comment »

While working on the dulcimer for my wife, I cut the fingerboard too short. It’s okay, I have plenty of wood and it was still just a stick with no real crafting invested in it. But figured I’d put it to good use. I cut the peg head into one end as ‘practice’ for the real thing. So now I have this fingerboard with a peg head cut into it. It’s too narrow for a cigar box guitar. Looking around the internet, I think I can use it to make a 4 string ‘teno...

Read this entry »


Part 4: Miter box for fretting

11-18-2016 08:27 PM by Dave Rutan | 0 comments »

[Above] Recently I had to cut fret slots on a fingerboard for a mountain dulcimer. I decided to build a miter box specifically for this. A standard miter box is too wide for this and the slot is a bit sloppy for my dovetail saw. I grabbed some scrap plywood which happened to have a decorative edge on it and screwed the two sides onto a bottom piece. This assembly was then screwed onto a wider base piece to allow me to clamp it in place. The whole thing has some weight to it as well, ...

Read this entry »


Part 5: Peg reamer and peg shaver

11-18-2016 08:41 PM by Dave Rutan | 3 comments »

[Above] Always trying to do things on the cheap, made a peg hole reamer using a rat tail file. I broke most of the tang off and inserted it into a hole drilled in a piece of flat steel. I glued it together using JB Weld and it’s held up so far with no problems. To use it I drill a pilot hole at 3/16 inch and ream it out to the largest diameter on the tapered file which 1/4 inch. You have to twist the reamer in the direction that will try to force it out of the hole, otherwise it...

Read this entry »


Part 6: And then some!

12-29-2016 10:38 PM by Dave Rutan | 5 comments »

There’s a good chance that I’ll be doing a lot more lutherie in the future. Through a connection my wife has as a music teacher, I’ll be apprenticed to a music store as a repairer of wooden instruments. I wouldn’t call this an absolutely done deal, but very likely at the least. I love the idea of having a unique job and this one could be fun as well. I gotta start binge watching all the guitar repair videos on Youtube. I haven’t met the owner yet, but he̵...

Read this entry »


Part 7: I'm an apprentice!

01-10-2017 08:40 PM by Dave Rutan | 3 comments »

I think today I could mark as when I entered an ‘apprenticeship’ as an ‘Orchestral Instrument Repair Technician’. I’m doing piecework as I learn, but the owner of the shop wants me to be stationed there eventually. It’s better for business. I’ve got a steep learning curve ahead of me. the better and faster I work, the more I get paid. I’m repairing student rental instruments, so they aren’t going to be ‘restored’ to showr...

Read this entry »


Part 8: Simple violin repair

01-11-2017 06:52 PM by Dave Rutan | 0 comments »

won’t make this a regular thing, but I wanted to post this first one. This is a 3/4 size violin with a beak in the tuning peg box. The break was clean and simple to fix with glue. Epoxy was used because the break line went Right through a tuning peg hole. One clamp held everything perfectly in place while the glue cured. Just reiterating that these are student rental instruments. The idea is o keep them playable. In this case the repair is nearly invisible, but this will not al...

Read this entry »



DISCLAIMER: Any posts on LJ are posted by individuals acting in their own right and do not necessarily reflect the views of LJ. LJ will not be held liable for the actions of any user.

Latest Projects | Latest Blog Entries | Latest Forum Topics

HomeRefurbers.com