LumberJocks

Violin Kit

  • Advertise with us
Blog series by Dave Rutan updated 04-28-2018 11:16 PM 7 parts 5064 reads 31 comments total

Part 1: Unboxing

04-05-2018 04:38 PM by Dave Rutan | 9 comments »

I decided to buy myself some education on lutherie. This is a kit that I bought from eBay, though it apparently is the same kit that you’d get from tomtop.com [link]. The body of the violin comes pre-assembled, but unlike the more expensive stew mac version, the purfling is already installed. I was actually expecting painted on purfling, so this was a pleasant surprise. I’ll need to create the dado into which the neck is fit and fit the pegs and drill a hole for the end button. The only t...

Read this entry »


Part 2: Small step, end button installation

04-10-2018 12:24 AM by Dave Rutan | 4 comments »

I decided to start by simply drilling and reaming the hole for the end button of the fiddle and fitting it in place. jj Next up, the hard part, fitting the neck.

Read this entry »


Part 3: Fitting the Neck

04-11-2018 08:22 PM by Dave Rutan | 5 comments »

The main part of this violin kit is fitting the neck to the body of the instrument. To do this a mortise must be created in the neck end of the instrument (the one opposite the end button end) that not only fits the neck root as tightly as possible, but also holds it at the proper angle and height. You start by cutting the overhand off the top plate, holding the neck in place for straightness and marking where it should go. Then you cut within your lines to a depth of about a quarter...

Read this entry »


Part 4: Attaching the Neck

04-11-2018 08:44 PM by Dave Rutan | 3 comments »

First thing is to cut down the back button closer to the shape it needs to be. This will be trimmed after the neck is glued on. Glue is applied to both pieces and the neck is clamped into position. Not much pressure is needed for this. Where the neck joins the body, the gap is supposed to measure 6mm (or whatever the Imperial equivalent is). At the end of the fingerboard, the top of the fingerboard ‘should’ measure about 7/8 of an inch. Mine is a little bit hi...

Read this entry »


Part 5: Creating the saddle

04-14-2018 12:43 AM by Dave Rutan | 0 comments »

The only part of this violin kit that was not included, not mentioned in the auction description, not in the photos, etc., was the saddle on which the tailpiece anchor rides. I decided to make one from a piece of cherry that I got when a tree was taken down at our church.

Read this entry »


Part 6: Putting finish on

04-23-2018 11:12 PM by Dave Rutan | 7 comments »

Warning. Appalling methods below I finall got to the point where I feel I’ve finished the finish on this kit violin. I used water base mahogany stain and water base polyurethane. Purists will definitely not approve. The fiddle looks aniquey and old to me which is sort of what I wanted. One of the things I’m counting on with this finish is that the polyurethane will yellow over time. This should improve the look. Plus the wood should darken a little bit. The wood for the kit wasn’t the be...

Read this entry »


Part 7: Setting up

04-28-2018 11:16 PM by Dave Rutan | 3 comments »

!https://s3.amazonaws.com/vs-lumberjocks.com/p7×1uwq Putting the fiddle together and finishing it are just part of this process. A lot has to be done to set it up to be played. I began by re-reaming the hole for the end button since some of my finish got in it and made the hole smaller. Then I taped the tuning pegs. The pegs come bigger than necesary and should be tapered down for a new installation. If I were dealing with an older instrument, one that had seen some time and we...

Read this entry »



DISCLAIMER: Any posts on LJ are posted by individuals acting in their own right and do not necessarily reflect the views of LJ. LJ will not be held liable for the actions of any user.

Latest Projects | Latest Blog Entries | Latest Forum Topics

HomeRefurbers.com