[Above] On the reverse of the sound board piece, I measured out and cut the gap that will help the sound from the fingerboard travel into the sound box. I drilled holes at each end, leaving a ‘bridge’ in the middle for strength and cut it out with my jig saw. This area is hidden by the finger board, so I’m not concerned about blowout.
[Above] Then I marked for the sound holes. I drilled two round holes in the upper half and traced out and cut two birds in flight on the lower half. At least I hope they look like birds in flight. At this point I’ve also temporarily attached the sound board to the box with two countersunk screws.
[Above] With the top temporarily attached, I used a flush trim bit to even up the top and bottom with the sides. The picture above was not taken after a blow out and a brilliant repair to the top—really it isn’t. Nothing to see here.
[Above] After sanding the top, I’ve located and put tape to show where to glue the fingerboard. I weighted it down with socket wrench sets and a tin can of ‘misc. hardware items’.
[Above] While the glue was drying I added my labels and maker’s mark so that they will be visible through the sound holes.
[Above] And finally I glue the sound board to the body. And I discovered that all my spool clamps are like 1/4 inch too short! On the bright side, that meands that this dulcimer is deeper than my first, so it should have a different sound. (Like have 4 strings instead of 3 and being a different shape and made of different wood wouldn’t cause that!)
That just leaves sanding, finishing and stringing her up. ...And the case!
-- Ni faru ion el ligno!