As mentioned previously in this series, I got possession of two old church pews that my church no longer needed. Today I disassembled them and cut the long pieces in half crosswise to fit them in my car. Because of the splits in the wood, I ended up with many 1×4’s and a few 1×6’s. One seat stayed intact, but it has a split. I’ll have to break it anyway to fit through my thickness planer.
I cleaned the wood up, taking off any molding so that it would fit better on my wood rack without slipping off. I have not planed any of it yet. I’ll save that for a nice day outdoors. I did however scrape and sand a section to help identify the wood.
The chaps in the Wood and Lumber section say this is mahogany (yay, not pine!) I don’t have any projects in mind for this yet, but I’m sure I’ll find something. I’ve got over 9 board feet of mohogany to play with.
Enjoy the pics below.
[Below] My stash of mahogany is just above the spring clamps and standing up next to the wood rack.
[Below] This doesn’t include the thick supports of the pew. These are actually two boards glued together. I also got the ‘hymnal’ racks that were screwed on under the pews. Same wood, but thinner pieces. I haven’t found a home for these yet.
-- Ni faru ion el ligno!