[Above] Typical example of Mother Necessity. I needed a way to glue up a small live-edge picture frame plus 5 of it’s sisters sometime down the line. The live edge made it impossible to use a strap clamp or even a rubber band. So after thinking about it, I came up with this ‘simple’ clamping jig. It consists of a pair of cross pieces, the height and width of which match the height and width of the intended frame size. The four cut out corners of one cross piece have butt jointed corners glued to them and a saw kerf cut into the two outside edges of each corner piece. [Below] Here the frame pieces are glued and placed in the jig.
[Below] Now the top piece is put on to hold down the frame. (not shown) This is held down with a thick wooden washer and a wing nut (because the thread on the carriage bolt I used starts higher.)
[Below] Then a rubber band is stretched along the corners of the jig using the kerfs to hold it in place. At this point the frame pieces can be moved around for a best fit and the wing nut tightened down for firm pressure keeping the frame flat.
I used spray lacquer on the corners to hopefully keep them from sticking to the frame. So far it’s worked fine.
-- Ni faru ion el ligno!