Over a year ago I posted this blog entry [link] about the jigs I’ve made for my table saw. Even then I knew the tapering jig pictured above was in need of augmentation. At the time it was adequate, but every time I used it…
This week I decided to just take the time and fix the old tapering jig up so that wouldn’t feel so much on the edge when I use it. The main reason though is that I want to use it more for putting a nice clean edge on boards that are not straight. The wimpy hold downs I was using were hard to adjust and were not good for boards of differing thickness.
[Below] I took a note from a video or two on Youtube and made new and improved hold down fingers.
[Below] The black knob is just a hole saw cut out (which I saved from a previous project) with a T-nut driven into it. If it ever falls out, I’ll glue it in with epoxy.
[Below] In this shot you can see the slot I made in the fingers. I made it by drilling two holes spaced about 1/4 inch apart. Then I removed the wood between them with a sharp chisel. Pretty much I just pared it clean, no mallet required.
[Below] Each finger goes on a length of 1/4 inch 20 tpi threaded rod. A short length of dowel goes on over it to help the knob bear down without skewing. Probably a knob with a hemispherical bottom or even a knob that was a big sphere would accomplish the same thing, but this was easier.
[Below] Here you can see how the finger can grab boards that are thick as well as thin. In its previous incarnation, the jig was really only good for 3/4 inch stock.
[Below] And here’s the completed, revamped jig. Now where’s that wood…
-- Ni faru ion el ligno!