“Necessity is the mother of invention” as the old saw goes. When I was researching the scroll saw that I got, I found that the special T-wrench was missing. So I looked it up and found that it is metric and 3.5mm. 3.5mm is not really a standard size as I found. They aren’t included in sets of hex wrenches and to buy a T-wrench of that kind would cost more than I’m willing to spend.
Then I just looked online for a normal Allen key that was 3.5mm and found that while not pricey were still a bit more than ones found in sets.
Today I was just about to click the ‘buy’ button on one of these on eBay because the description said it was about 4 inches long (And thus could put it in my own handle if I wished.) It occurred to me that I should look in my jar of miscellaneous hex wrenches first.
I had not one, but two 3.5mm hex wrenches and they were longer than normal, 4 inches. I double checked that they fit the required screw on my scroll saw and they were perfect.
So I grabbed a scrap chunk of oak from my hardwood scrap bin. (Yes I have one of those now!) Then I cut it to approximate size on the table saw, drilled a hole on the center and used the drill press to do most of the work of creating a mortise for the L part of the wrench. I had to clean it up with a small chisel.
Then I ran that part of the handle over the Table saw to create a dado big enough to accept a piece of bamboo skewer. I inserted the wrench, glued in the skewer piece and let the glue dry.
It’s possible I should have used epoxy because the wrench rocks a bit, but I don’t mind.
After the glue set up, I planed the skewer flush with the top of the handle and narrowed and shaped the handle. Then I sanded it and coated it with boiled linseed oil.
Much cheaper than buying one and it has fancy bamboo inlay!
-- Ni faru ion el ligno!