Today my band saw decided it wanted some attention. I admit have been just changing blades and running lately. Today it held a small rebellion. First thing I noticed was a sort of knocking sound as it ran, so I turned off the saw, unplugged it and investigated. The 1/8 inch blade I put on yesterday was not riding on the tire on the lower wheel.
So I did like we used to do on the small offset presses, I started taking things apart until solved the problem. In this case it was the additive effect of changing blades and not bothering to truly adjust the guide blocks and bearings.
I pulled the saw out into the room, took the table off and realigned all the guides from scratch. I even took the wheels off one at a time to make sure something wasn’t amiss. They are fine.
Tinkering with the saw does remind me of my printing days. We’d occasionally have to break down a job and just reset everything from scratch, checking roller pressures, the condition of ink rollers, etc. Usually the problem was from a period of the ‘work fast, git ‘er done’ philosophy. That works fine for simple printing, but eventually it creeps up into a maintenance issue.
While I had things open on the saw, I noticed all the adjustments it has. Sure it’s a little saw and a Skil brand at that, but I only have a few things I’d change on it:
I’d replace the 4 bolts that hold the table on with hex key bolts. It would be a bit easier to keep one screwdriver style hex wrench near the saw than to break out my metric ratchet set. The alternative is to use the open end wrench that came with the saw—a knuckle busting proposition!
The major thing I find a bit weak is that the lower guide assembly is attached to the frame by a bolt. I’d like it to be in some sort of assembly so that the guide assembly won’t pivot as you tighten the bolt. Maybe I’ll become clever and do that some day.
For a bench top band saw though I’ve had little to complain about. I got it working again and it’s fine.
-- Ni faru ion el ligno!