One of the things I get to do is repair the rhythm instruments that get broken at my wife’s school. In this case a pair of slit drums were the victims of over-exuberant students. The longer drum was commercially purchased sometime ago and my wife has commented several times how badly made it was. The other drum is the one I made last year.
Looking at the damage of both, I decided the best course of action was to remove the broken tops and simply make replacements. I made them out of thicker wood, poplar that I got from an old drawer front. kept the interesting grain centered as much as possible. After sanding, gluing and finishing the tops, the drums are ready for another session in class. I need to make another batch of these sorts of things, but that’s not likely to happen till after Christmas.
-- Ni faru ion el ligno!