Today I started by removing yesterday’s back piece from the bending press and gluing up another one. Then I took one of the first ones I made and scraped any glue squeeze out from one edge.
[Below] Running the clean edge along my rip fence, I skim trim the other edge to get it smooth. Then I do the same with the opposite side.
[Below] The back piece blank is larger than needed. In this case, the space between the sides is 17 inches, just like it should be. I transfer that measurement to the blank.
[Below] Since the piece is curved, I hold the edge level on my panel sled and cut both edges.
[Below] Now the tricky part. To make the edges of the back angled to fit the sides, I flip the piece over, placing the inner edge on the very edge of the sled and trim both ends.
[Below] Next I round over the two edges on the concave side. I’m using a 1/2 in. round-over bit.
[Below] To help the plywood look better, I’ve smeared it over with some filler, especially on the raw edges of the plywood. I’m using something like spackle, except that it’s very light, dries fast and sands easily.
[Below] After sanding the back I spray paint it flat brown. Amazingly, this matches closely to the stain I’m using once the lacquer is applied.
[Below] Using a clamp to hold things in place, I drill holes with a countersink and attach the piece with screws, aligning it with the front edge.
[Below] The last thing I do is to smear some black paint on the screw heads to help disguise them. There’s not enough room to inset the screws and cap them and I don’t trust dowels here.
-- Ni faru ion el ligno!