During the prototype process I built a 2-in-1 jig to make tapering the legs easier.
[Below] Even though I chose boards that were pretty clear, they were still just common pine boards and had some small knots in them. By cutting the lengths carefully I eliminated some of them. Via the tapering of the legs, I was able to cut out a few more bad spots.
(The wedge shaped cut offs from this project can be glued together and used for small projects.)
[Below] The piece for the front of the seat frame needed to be ripped to 2-1/2 inches. The waste from this can be trimmed to create a spacer for when the back legs are attached.
[Not Shown] One of the 2 inch strips is used to create three 1×3/4 in. strips, 13 inches long. These are cleats which support the seat.
[Below] The front legs need to have a notch cut into them to accept the front piece of the seat frame. This supports the frame as well as improving the look of the chair. I cut one set by hand and did the rest with the band saw.
[Below] Finally a 1/2 in. hole is drilled in the back legs to accept the cushion tie-on. I originally figured out the best location for this on my third prototype, so I use the prototype leg as a template.
-- Ni faru ion el ligno!