Current Project #22: Those Chairs and my Clamps

  • Advertise with us
Blog entry by Dave Rutan posted 04-10-2015 02:23 AM 1516 reads 0 times favorited 0 comments Add to Favorites Watch
« Part 21: Bird Casket Part 22 of Current Project series Part 23: Chairs and a 2x4 Xylophone Experiment »

I decided to start cutting the parts for two of the ten chairs I plan on building to match the conference table I made last year. In the photo above you can see the parts cut out and ready for some milling, sanding and assembling. I’m also filming this process. I cut the 3 inch wide lengths out of a 1×12. As I was ripping, I encountered my first ever ‘pinch.’ The wood closed around the blade and riving knife to the point where I couldn’t even try to push it through. The blade kept spinning, but the wood wouldn’t budge. Because I forgot the handy tip about putting in a wedge to expand the kerf, I opted to lower the blade and basically make the cut, little by little like a ever deepening dado.

Mainly because it bothered me and I had the hardware to do it, I spent yesterday upgrading all but 4 of my homemade bar clamps with superior movable stops. I just need to upgrade the 4 four-footers and eventually upgrade all the screw heads from 1/4 inch eyebolts to 3/8 inch threaded rod. In the photo above, the bar clamp at the top has the old style movable stop, the ones below it are upgraded and can now even be doubled up on the pegs! More room for clamps!

-- Ni faru ion el ligno!

0 comments so far

Have your say...

You must be signed in to post the comments.

DISCLAIMER: Any posts on LJ are posted by individuals acting in their own right and do not necessarily reflect the views of LJ. LJ will not be held liable for the actions of any user.

Latest Projects | Latest Blog Entries | Latest Forum Topics