LumberJocks

Current Project #3: 1st Real Picture Frame

  • Advertise with us
Blog entry by Dave Rutan posted 08-28-2014 07:43 PM 1321 reads 0 times favorited 8 comments Add to Favorites Watch
« Part 2: Notebook(s) Holder(s) Part 3 of Current Project series Part 4: Conference Room Table »

Another house project. We’ve wanted to frame a large piece of my daughter’s artwork. The cost of frames is a bit higher than me making one out of an old drawer front found on the curb. I’ll be doing the matting as well—a new skill to be acquired!

-- Ni faru ion el ligno!



8 comments so far

View Troy Cleckler 's profile

Troy Cleckler

384 posts in 831 days


#1 posted 08-28-2014 09:36 PM

The price is what drove me into making my own as well. Picture frames can be a bit of a challange. You just have to make sure the opposing sides are exactly the same length so a stop block is a must. The matting is what will make the picture/artwork pop. I enjoy doing those. Update with more pics as you go.

-- Troy. - Measure twice, cut once and fill the gaps....

View Oldtool's profile

Oldtool

2373 posts in 1650 days


#2 posted 08-29-2014 11:43 AM

I tried something like this once, getting the four corner miters to mate seamlessly is a chore. Good luck.

-- "I am a firm believer in the people. If given the truth, they can be depended upon to meet any national crisis. The point is to bring them the real facts." - Abraham Lincoln

View Dave Rutan's profile

Dave Rutan

1430 posts in 1648 days


#3 posted 08-29-2014 12:01 PM

Oldtool, The miter angles fit great. The mating seamlessly took some fudging around before the glue set. Some sanding will fix things up great.

-- Ni faru ion el ligno!

View Dave Rutan's profile

Dave Rutan

1430 posts in 1648 days


#4 posted 08-29-2014 02:13 PM

Just had an Aha moment while sanding. I could have just mitered the corners, made the rabbet and then glued the frame together. Then run the outer edge through the router so the Ogee would be all matched up and the same. Lesson learned.

-- Ni faru ion el ligno!

View CFrye's profile

CFrye

8732 posts in 1300 days


#5 posted 08-30-2014 04:25 PM

” Then run the outer edge through the router so the Ogee would be all matched up and the same.”
Thanks for the tip, Dave! Could you have made the rabbet first, thereby just having one long piece?

-- God bless, Candy

View Dave Rutan's profile

Dave Rutan

1430 posts in 1648 days


#6 posted 09-01-2014 10:33 AM

CFrye, I cut the miters before routing the edges to make sure they lined up, so it was necessary to route the edges of each piece of the frame separately. I’ll go into detail when I post the project.

-- Ni faru ion el ligno!

View CFrye's profile

CFrye

8732 posts in 1300 days


#7 posted 09-01-2014 10:53 AM

Well, Dave my question may have made more sense if I’d quoted the right part I was referring to! Could you have made the rabbet before the miters?

-- God bless, Candy

View Dave Rutan's profile

Dave Rutan

1430 posts in 1648 days


#8 posted 09-01-2014 11:32 AM

CFrye, Yest I could have. For that matter the rabbets probably would have been less of a headache. Using the router, I kept getting chip out. The table saw might have done a better job. Thing is, My cut offs from making the miters are still big enough to do something with—maybe. ;-)

-- Ni faru ion el ligno!

Have your say...

You must be signed in to post the comments.

DISCLAIMER: Any posts on LJ are posted by individuals acting in their own right and do not necessarily reflect the views of LJ. LJ will not be held liable for the actions of any user.

Latest Projects | Latest Blog Entries | Latest Forum Topics

HomeRefurbers.com