I think I need a new blade for my table saw. At least a blade is cheaper than buying a jointer. I had this idea that I wanted to start making a project today and I didn’t want to buy the wood. So I rummaged through some out of the way spots in my workshop and came up with two identical drawer fronts. The wood I need for the project needs to be 12 inches across and these two 8 inch drawer fronts were my best bet. Unfortunately, I’d have to glue them together edgewise. No problem said an optomistic I.
I began by sharpening up a card scraper and removing the layer of varnish on the drawers. Then I set up my planer and ran the boards through it. They are glue-ups, but not pine. I can’t judge woods by their grain yet, but at the very least it’s gotta be poplar. My optomism says they’re maple.
I tried every trick on YouTube to trim the edges of these boards to glue them together. I tried Izzy’s TS Method. I tried Steve’s TS trick. The edges just wouldn’t match up. I tried a router trick, no dice. I tried a TS and pin router trick. Nope. I even got out my dad’s old plane and tried that. No way.
I’m thinking the problem is inherent in that I’m still using the blade that originally came with my saw. It still cuts, but it’s not up to doing real woodworking tricks. Either that or bottom of the line TS’s just don’t cut it (pun definitely intended!)
A pity too. The project I was trying to start is a scroll saw made from a jig saw.
-- - Ni faru ion el ligno!