Cranky is now ready for paint and the final decorations. The plan is to paint him primer gray overall. The control knobs will be red, and the crane boom will be black. The head will be finished by the addition of decals which I will make in AutoCAD and apply via decoupage. His face will be a slightly altered picture from Google, again applied through decoupage. The decorative elements of the base will be added through wood strips painted black. Mechanically he functions well, but I’m happy he won’t have to undergo the rigors of a preteen in normal play. He’s essentially a fancy prop. (Note: Some might notice that I changed the design of the crank handles. Since his head does not need to spin around like in the Exorcist I made it a simple knob instead of a crank. The string still has a crank, but I decided to make that more knob-like to match.)
In the photo below you can see a glimpse into Cranky’s ugly insides. A peek at the gearing is visible on the right. The hole in the middle with a nut around it is the bottom of his head turning shaft through which passes the string that raises and lowers his magnetic ‘hook’ The spindle crank is what controls that function. The four dowel stumps are what the base plate screws onto.
And finally, I want to show my unique claming system for gluing up his upper parts. There’s nothing more useful than a spare grind stone. I bought the grindstone by mistake. I need a 4 inch size and picked up a 6 inch. I’ll store it until the one on my new grinder wears out.
-- Ni faru ion el ligno!