I grabbed a piece of my valuable and ever decreasing drawer wood because it’s only 3/8 inches thick. I drew the base on the wood using a sliding bevel set to the angle indicated on my drawing. It doesn’t look right—too slim, so I adjusted the angle a bit. Looks much better just by adding 1/2 inch to the base.
Using my panel cutting sled to cut the one side. The thought occurs to me that I’ll be able to make all 4 sides the same by cutting them using my first side as a template. Cool, I’ve never had to do that yet! I went to watch a video on template cutting on the table saw. Luckily I already had the jig for this made, though I had to drill 2 holes in it for the clamps.
Using spray adhesive and 2 brads, I joined 3 pieces of oversize wood to my first side and cut them out. Perfect! Or at least good enough. I know I can’t assemble the base yet because I have to fist figure out and add 2 crank mechanisms. One will raise and lower a magnet from the boom. The other will turn Cranky’s ‘head’. The head turning part has me a little concerned, but I think I can figure it out.
-- Ni faru ion el ligno!