Along my route this morning I spotted a chest of drawers on the curb. One drawer was out and on the top of the dresser so I could see it was solid wood without the wide dado so often found on modern furniture. So on my return trip I stopped and hefted the eight drawer dresser in my Impreza wagon. At home I knocked it apart and then cleaned up most of the wood, removing nails and staples. This is the yield of useful wood I got:
From the drawer sides (above) I get 16 1/2 in. thick wood pieces from which I can cut a useable piece 5 inches x 14 in. and 8 pieces from which I can cut 5 in. x 16 in. These are glued up pieces, but they are solid wood and I don’t think it’s pine.
In sheet goods, I got a piece of 1/4 in. plywood measuring 30in. x 35 in., 2 sheets of 3/16 in. plywood measuring 12 1/2 in. x 31 in., and 8 pieces measuring 1 1/2 in. x 16 in.
The top is a 3/4 in. glue up and measures about 16 in. x 37 in. The legs have a small portion of useable wood as well as the 8 drawer fronts (forgot to photograph,) which are solid wood.
I still have to clean up the sticks that were inside the carcass as drawer slides and such.
Some of this wood is finished on one side, but other than that I think it was a great find on a clear October morning. Now let’s see what I can make with it… Let the fun begin!
-- Ni faru ion el ligno!