LumberJocks

Adventures in Lutherie #12: A few shots from my day

  • Advertise with us
Blog entry by Dave Rutan posted 06-13-2017 09:04 PM 485 reads 0 times favorited 0 comments Add to Favorites Watch
« Part 11: Bench Puppy and Tiny Wedges Part 12 of Adventures in Lutherie series Part 13: Bass-ic Clamps »

I’ve been going through the ‘bone pile’ in the shop, looking for specimens that I think I have the ability to repair. The best way to learn is to do, and since these were actually already in the scrap box, how could I possibly goof anything up? My boss once said to me that if I goof something up, we’ll just take it apart and fix it.

These first two shots are of a 3/4 violin that had a missing corner on the upper left C bout. The top of violins is spruce, IE the same stuff that 2×4s are made from. I had previously cut some pieces from a 2×4 for such a purpose.

First thing is to make the edge straight. In this case I was even able to save the perfling on the edge. I took a piece of my spruce and edge glued it to the violin. I held the joint together with painters tape.

After it dried, I cut much of the excess away and carved it to shape using my pocket knife. I brought it to final shape with sand paper. sorry I didn’t show the rest of the process, but it’s basically just doing my best to match the finish and make the patch invisible.

Below is just a clamping job holding a crack aligned while the glue dries. I made the clamps myself as is noted in my lutherie tools series. [link]

-- Ni faru ion el ligno!



0 comments so far

Have your say...

You must be signed in to post the comments.

DISCLAIMER: Any posts on LJ are posted by individuals acting in their own right and do not necessarily reflect the views of LJ. LJ will not be held liable for the actions of any user.

Latest Projects | Latest Blog Entries | Latest Forum Topics

HomeRefurbers.com