Since I found out how not difficult it is to put a handle on a file, I decided to have a file handle making party today. I put handles on the rest of my needle files that will go in my lutherie kit. They were made from those wooden handles of those disposable foam brushes. The ferrules are cut pieces of small diameter copper pipe.
The handles of the larger files are made from various short spindles that I’ve saved over the years. One of the nice things about using the spindles is that they often have a tenon on them that fits a ferrule. The ferrules for these are used plumbing fittings that I had in my plumbing drawer for emergencies. It being easier to clean up something you have at 3 AM than it is to buy one at a store that isn’t open at 3 AM. I’m glad I’ve never encountered a situation like this yet.
I might mention that I did not want these handles to look new. I like them looking pre-worn. The finish on these is boiled linseed oil.
I have 4 more files to put handles on… eventually.
Esperanto fun facts:
file = fajlilo
handle = tenilo
ferrule = (metal)kolumo
-- Ni faru ion el ligno!