After allowing a few days for the wood to acclimate to the shop temp and humidity, I started by milling all the major pieces to the correct dimensions and length. I had been storing the wood in my garage temporarily until I could get started on the project.
Next, I worked on the mortices in the legs. I used a mortising bit in the shop mortiser. I considered using the overhead router or using the mortising jig and uncut spiral bit. These would have produce better looking mortises, but taking a bit more setup time. The results using the mortising bit were good.
The next step will be to make the tendons using a shop made horizontal router. One of the guys in our community wood shop put this together last year. I donated a Craftsman router I had to the project. It works well, but could use a few refinements for ease of use. I’ll post photos of the setup in a few days.