With Yardbirds going out of business, I bought a bunch of stuff to run some new electrical (although even with the discount their wire was no cheaper than other sources, so I had to pick and choose), and in the process of picking conduit paths through the garage I cleaned out the shop.
So yesterday I milled a whole bunch of wood into door frames. I’d picked up a bunch of eastern hard maple off of Craigslist, random sizes, about 5’; lengths, so I took the ones closest to my door frame size and milled ‘em from 13/16” down to 3/4” and ripped them down to 2 1/4”. I started laying them out for where they went on the cabinets, making sure that the grain continued from one door into another, when I realized that I was doing it wrong: The grain should also continue between adjacent parallel elements.
Whoops. Don’t know how it took me that long to figure that out. So now I have a bunch of milled materials, only half of which I’ll be using for the purpose I milled ‘em for, but if I take another smidgen off they’ll make good shelf edges, and the resulting thin strip will be good for edging other plywood.
And I generated a monster bucket o’ sawdust for the garden:
-- Dan Lyke, Petaluma California, http://www.flutterby.net/User:DanLyke