“We were somewhere around Lagunitas, on the edge of the redwoods, when the screws began to take hold…”
After evaluating and deciding to postpone assorted good suggestions involving dump valves and such, I finally got around to glue-up on the rocking horse, and slapped a first layer of finish on it yesterday. After all of my struggles with this one, I’m now starting to think about building another one, but next time I’m going to make some jigs and templates to get it right, and seriously consider doing it out of some nicer wood.
I’m not sure what I can afford in 2×12, and maybe part of what needs to happen is some glue-up from smaller stock, but “kiln dried” fir took way too much sanding and still had an awful lot wrong with it as I tried to get all the finish blemishes sanded away.
Whence that dark color, which normally I’d run screaming from.
I’m also thinking about laminating curved strips for the runners, although I need to do a little more investigation in the rocking chair literature to find more on optimal shapes for the rocking horse, or investigate hanging swing rocking mechanisms, because these might not be the kindest thing to floor finishes.
And… well… there’s some blotchyness on those spreaders on the runners, a clear indication that I didn ‘t give ‘em enough sanding, so I have to fix that.
-- Dan Lyke, Petaluma California, http://www.flutterby.net/User:DanLyke