This project has a huge mix of frustration and reward because I’m trying to be a facilitator and enable Daniel to build the guitar. It’s way too ambitious a project to simply be a teacher for, to walk him through the steps of every tool set-up and every element of design (especially when I’m learning much of this myself), and yet it’s not my guitar. So I try to encourage him to set up and do a design or a cut by himself, and then take a deep breath and accept the outcome. Exhibit #1: The peghead.
I asked him to head out to the shop, double-check the measurements on our first peghead, and cut it out. Through a variety of mess-ups (my casualness in drawing out the cut lines, his casualness in following them, neither of us double-checking that layout) we ended up with a peghead that had the neck portion cut too narrow.
We drew up and clamped up a new peghead, which had geometry different from the old one because of transcription error. And actually, that was just fine because yesterday the next package of hardware arrived, and the tuning machine spacing we'd laid out wasn't going to work anyway.
It all worked out okay, but it took a while to get there.
We did manage to get the truss rod groove routed on the router table, and finish the rest of the body glue-ups, using Dominos for alignment.
Next up: Rout the peghead junction flat, finish the truss rod groove through that, and, with a little clean-up of glue and drilling the electronics channel through the neck, assemble the thing!
-- Dan Lyke, Petaluma California, http://www.flutterby.net/User:DanLyke