Been 13 days since my last update, which means there’s lots o’ progress to report! I set up a router lathe to mill the mast. Turns out 2×4s aren’t really stiff enough for a 10’ lathe bed, and the mast needed to be supported in that span anyway, but I ended up with something passable after a bunch of hand-plane and sandpaper tuning.
Every year Petaluma’s various small craft river users band together to have a “Day on the River” celebration, in which there is much paddling of various small boats up and down our little stretch of tidal slough that extends the San Francisco Bay, so Charlene and I took one of the boat building competition practice boats out and paddled it for a ways:
This weekend was all about fiberglass. We’d dropped the hull, and thought we hadn’t done any damage but found a bit of a dimple, it turns out ¼” plywood doesn’t take dings very well, so we decided to fiberglass the seams. After much back-and-forth on seeing if we could scrounge some free polyurethane resin from friends or whether to spring for the epoxy, and how much to apply, we decided to go with epoxy, and tape on the seams (in order to keep the hull lighther). So we glassed the seams, took all the spare epoxy resin and smoothed it all over the boat (before I realized there was more stuff we really should have glassed, oh well). And then we test fit the mast and cut out the sail:
I need to get another piece of redwood to make a piece down the center of the bottom, partially to support the bottom a little better, and partially to hold the skeg in place. I’ve got pieces cut for the rudder and lee board that need a little shaping, and I need to come up with a better rudder hinge because I don’t like the epoxied webbing method that the plans show, so I may just spring for the actual hardware.
But progress marches on!
-- Dan Lyke, Petaluma California, http://www.flutterby.net/User:DanLyke