It’s not done. I still have a few pieces of siding to run. I need to caulk the siding and trim. I need to finish the roof edge assembly. And there’s that small matter of 5 or 6 tons of dirt that needs to get lifted to the roof.
However, my electrical inspection is today. The rainy season has come. And I can do things in my shop.
My sweety Charlene asked me to put together a progress report, a look back at what we’ve done since July when I broke my rib digging out the foundation and had to put the whole thing on hold until October, when I started in earnest. My Dad flew out to help in November, and again this January, my friend Alan and his kids helped, and, of course, Charlene carried her part of our partnership during the construction.
So, we started by digging out the foundation trenches:
Then I built forms and laid and tied the rebar:
I hired my neighbor Loren, who’s a landscaping contractor, to do the pour and concrete finishing for me. I think this was a good move. Even though I’ve put a floor over the concrete, I’d have never gotten that nice a finish on the slab, and there’s a whole lot of experience that goes in to the process. Now that I’ve seen it done (and participated in it a little), I might tackle aspects of it myself, but this project has also beat quite a bit of the “do it myself” aspect of building out of me:
My Dad came out from Ohio to visit, and he and I put together a pair of walls, and then said “huh, how are we going to get this up?”. Luckily, my friend Alan came over and pretty much lifted the things into place by himself. Wasn’t the first time he saved me a whole lot of time on this project. And his daughter helped assemble the other two walls, and by the end of the day we were putting on sheathing.
Setting the window headers
Wall sheathing on
Before the wall sheathing got inspected, my Dad left. I had to do a little correction on that, and then Charlene and I put up the fire break drywall. Any wall within 5’ of the property line needs to be a 1 hour firewall, I believe my design gives me a 2 hour firewall, but we decided that if we’re going to do the wall and a foot of the adjoining walls, we may as well do the whole thing. So I lifted a whole bunch of 5/8” Type X into place:
Charlene helped me apply the housewrap. The furring strips there stay in place, as they provide space between the siding and the wall for a drainage plane. This provides wind and shock wave resistance, it also makes the space that much more energy efficient (all of which are bad justifications for a design element, given our climate, but everything worth doing is worth doing to excess).
Siding. Prefinished HardiPlank.
And now we’re inside, on the electrical. 6 GFCI circuits around the walls, 2 in the ceiling, plus 3 220v circuits. And as a condition of the electrical permit, the city made me put in heating and made me make the building California Title 24 compliant. Turns out the cheapest easiest way to put in heating was a heat pump, so I have heating and cooling in my shop.
Siding up, and the preliminary door on.
The roof is a living roof, so it’s a fairly complex assembly. Here you can see the Enkadrain layer (over several
layers of insulation, rubber and plastic), with the grating to hold the dirt on.
Insulation inside, Charlene and a few college student houseguests who came by to crash on our floor in the Bay Area over winter break helped a lot:
Electrical trench dug. The electrical service is 100A buried in 1¼” conduit.
Wallboard up and spackle on
And wall textured and painted
And now I’m organizing inside.
-- Dan Lyke, Petaluma California, http://www.flutterby.net/User:DanLyke