|Blog series by Dan Krager||updated 02-06-2014 11:09 PM||6 parts||11085 reads||43 comments total|
I’ve decided to update (slowly) the tool chests that I use to keep things handy, as in within arms reach of bench. No tools are allowed on bench (usually) so with each use things get put back where they are stored. This sketch is a design thought. It does not fully meet the modularity requirement. I also want to put doors on the chests, but just how is still unanswered. I’m considering tambour, pushing up to open. Suggestions and comments are welcome.DanK
The tool chest design continues to mature. My goal is to have “modular” chests that are built in the Gerstner style, perhaps beefed up a bit for more handling strength. The smoked plastic doors provide lockable dust protection. Have worked out where most things will go in.
I thought I would like this gull wing design so I spent a lot of time drawing it up. Now that it’s done and can be put next to the Gerstner style box design I created first, I’m just not sure. I lean towards the Gertsner style since that is what style I have already on a tier as my “best box”. The gull wing doors do not add anything but a lot of cool factor. I tried and tried to think of a way to make the traditional Gerstner style side panels with the diagonal hin...
I made a little progress on the tool chest details. I was able to complete the plane till plate layout. The next step will be to obtain the walnut necessary for the case in which this till will reside. Previous blog posts show the case design. This plate will be mounted almost vertically in the case and be located within arms reach of the bench where planing occurs. Thanks for looking!DanK
The first of three chests is almost complete. I can’t afford to put doors on it yet, so I plan to use it as is. There are five more planes to house, and trunk corners to put on (still looking for them…they’re a little special because the three corner ones don’t work on an open front). I’ve settled on magnets to secure the planes below, the upper ones need more, so cleats look promising.Thanks for your interest.DanK
This is a project that has been on the list for quite awhile. As shown here, two more chests are being test fitted. Things seem to fit nicely and will help to get clutter from underfoot. One thing I learned is that the vintage saws I bought for restoration and use should have been measured! Handles take up a LOT of length. They will fit only because of slots cut in the top! Handles and finish need to be applied, but that will wait until warmer weather. If I finished them now, I’d b...