CAUTION! PICTURE HEAVY!
About a month and a half ago I posted a forum topic about a new toy…. A brand new Epiphone Les Paul with a broken neck.
This is a pretty common failure for Les Paul’s and SG’s, both Gibson and Epiphone.
I bought this guitar to see if I could do a credible fix. Forum Topic Here!
All went well until I had to go to the Doctor and found I had some problems and I couldn’t use any sho tools for awhile.
I was nearly finished with this guitar and even had it strung up and had been playing it for awhile.
It sounded pretty good to my ear, and was holding ‘tune’ for days without problem so the repair was plenty strong.
Then one night one of my favorite kitty shop helpers wanted to play it as it was leaning against the amplifier and knocked it over breaking the headstock in a different spot but close enough to the original place that it was going to be a bugger.
I was already depressed, and didn’t touch the guitar for weeks, although we almost had Fricasseed Feline with Broiled Onions for dinner.
Every time I went into the shop to clean up a little bit, or sit on my stool and drink coffee I would pass that broken guitar and it would call out to me.
This is the story of that re-repair.
I did take a picture of the broken pieces but it was so fuzzy even I couldn’t tell what it was.
The photo above is a picture where I had already glued the second break back together but wasn’t satisfied because of the closeness of the two breaks and a bit of missing material between the two.
In this photo you can see where I matched the two pieces up as well as I could and glued them with Gorilla Wood Glue, (NOT GORILLA GLUE!).
I decided I would put in a Dutchman. I didn’t have any small router bits for my Dremel tool so I did the next best thing….. I used the drill press with a 1/2” straight bottoming bit to cut the slot for the Dutchman.
The drill press was set for as fast as I could get it to go, about 3000 rpm, (I think).
I spent quite a bit of time sanding and sizing the Dutchman so it would fit tightly.
These are the tools I used to smooth and shape the splint, (Dutchman).
Starting to shape, the splint is glued in with wood glue.
Filling small gaps with Super Glue, (Medium base), and sawdust. The white dust you see is baking soda which helps the CA glue cure in just a short time.
All smooth and nicely fitting. Ready for a bit of black dye to help blend the wood.
A couple of coats of dye and I can see some spots that need some attention. Fix those and then to a seal coat of Deft clear lacquer.
First coat of black lacquer, looks OK, a little orange peely but it will smooth out before it dries. I don’t like the Deft rattle cans, the droplets are too large.
Second coat of black lacquer. It looks better and it is still wet. I may have to go over it with another coat of clear tomorrow, the clear has a better spray pattern. A little buffing and polish and it should be good to go!
Then we’ll put the tuners back on, string it up, tune it ans see how she sounds! Maybe I can get a video for the second part of actually playing it. Just Don’t expect BB King or Axle rose or even Pete Rose. More like Pee Wee Herman!
‘till tomorrow Buckaroo’s and Buckarettes!
-- Improvise.... Adapt...... Overcome!