I put off assembling the x axis rack and pinion until I was able to purchase the rest of the parts. The y and z axis has to build on the x axis. I bought the linear rails a long time ago, so the y and z were built on top of this.
Well, now that I am ready to finish the x axis, I had to remove the y and z from the gantry.
The pinion gear assembly took a bit of work but they are finally ready.
Due to the depth of the pinion gear and the mounted flanged bearing, I had to build out the ends to get the correct spacing.
I debated about banding the edges first or fitting everything then banding.
When push comes to shove, I wasn’t certain I wouldn’t be remaking these ends more than once. So, no banding yet.
I figured out I will need a tensioning bearing in the middle of the timing belt to reduce backlash.
I have some left over bearings from the pool pump motor rebuild. (It was cheaper to buy.ten than to buy the six I needed)
This should be a fairly simple proposition, but I ran out of weekend before I got it finished.
I got the x axis stepper motor mounted and the main drive rod installed on one end. (It’s a double ended motor shaft)
The 10mm drive rod turned out to be short by the time I cut off enough for the pinion gears. I didn’t count on having to space it so far out either. I have a 5/8” diameter rod that I’ve drilled a socket in the end and tapped set screws from the sides. As long as I can get it mounted straight, it should serve nicely.
-- "Hard work is not defined by the difficulty of the task as much as a person's desire to perform it.", DS251