Well, me, myself and I had a come to Jesus meeting and decided that if I wanted to get this machine built in my lifetime I was going to need to take drastic measures.
When I add up all the parts and software I still need to complete the machine and begin producing amazing onlays, moldings and turnings, it came to nearly $7000!
How was I going to do this at my current pace? Fact is, that I wasn’t going to finish anytime soon.
So, I decided to sell my beautiful F-150 and use the money to finish the build.
A couple of things factored into my decision process.
1) being diabetic and having had a major heart attack last year, my odds of being around in the next ten years keep getting less and less likely. So, I needed to finish sooner rather than later.
2) now that I have a long work commute each day, I bought a fuel efficient car (2013 Altima gets 38mpg – no lie) and my 15 mpg F-150 has been mostly garaged for the last six months.
3) while I will need a truck to haul materials once the machine is running, there will be no need unless the machine is actually running.
4) I figure I can produce about $1k per day of product on the machine at full capacity and that at that pace it can buy me a brand new truck in short order.
So, the gambit is on.
The truck is sold.
The money is in the bank.
I need to execute my plan in order to succeed.
Wish me luck!
P.s. A few cool things happened once I made this decision.
1) a local hardwood supplier has offered to supply me with pre made wood blanks and to carry my finished products in their catalog. (Solving the time consuming need to glue up and mill the blanks and giving me a direct outlet to my ultimate customers)
2) a local, well established, interior designer has agreed to lend her name and expertise to developing a product line specifically geared around the capabilities of the machine.
Of course, now, the pressure is on to finish the build.
I’ll keep you updated. Thanks for following along.
UPDATE: I’ve ordered several parts for both the x and z axis mechanics and the sparks are flying!
After swapping my 60t carbide blade for a metal cutting blade, I got the x axis rack gears trimmed to length and mounting holes drilled.
The z axis linear rails needed a slight trim as well. It was like Fourth of July came early!
Another driver arrived for the “fifth” axis stepper motor. Ok, it is not technically a fifth working axis, but rather the tool changer carousel motor. It still needed a driver and that arrived. I keep trying to figure out whether I need another power supply for it or if I can piggy back it on top of one that would be idle during a tool change event.
I decided to add an I2C 16 port I/O expansion card to the netduino controller. It will be slower driving from this card, so it will only handle all non time sensitive input and output signals, like motor enable, motor direction and LCD display data. All time critical signals will still be direct driven from the controller. As far as the controller goes, ipm, ( inches per minute) is everything.
Progress is progressing…
-- "Hard work is not defined by the difficulty of the task as much as a person's desire to perform it.", DS251