You can’t tell, but, I’ve been puttering around with the control panel for a couple of weekends.
I still need a few standoffs to mount the open circuit cards to the backplane, but everything else is bolted down.
The motor control wiring from the drivers out to the machine takes a shielded four wire cable that costs less for 500 feet than for 100 feet. Weird how that works. I can get 500 feet for $55 but I only need 100 feet, which would cost me $69.
I have no idea what I’ll do with the other 400 feet.
I’ve offered my truck for sale – partially to pay a bunch of taxes, but also to buy Aspire 4.5 software and my ATC tool changing spindle. (Not to mention the z-axis bearings and ball screw and the x-axis rack and pinion)
If all goes well, I can use the machine to produce enough to re-buy a newer truck later.
That’s it for now.
Once I get something completed where I can push a button and something moves, that will be super cool.
Thanks for following along.
Got the main breaker box installed on the nema enclosure. I installed strain relief fittings for a 10awg pigtail in the bottom of the box. That cord and plug is a small fortune too.
Finished more wiring on the control panel. Mounted more terminal blocks for the low voltage stuff.
I broke two pilot bits drilling through the nema panel with a 1 1/4” bimetal hole saw. I figured out the hard way that in metal it’s best to drill the pilot hole first, then add the hole saw. The first time the pilot punched through the saw grabbed, broke a tooth and bent the pilot bit. I shrugged it off as a fluke until the second hole did exactly the same thing. Unfortunately that was my last 1/4” drill bit. Had to buy a new drill index today. (Sigh)
Man, there’s lots to do still!
-- "Hard work is not defined by the difficulty of the task as much as a person's desire to perform it.", DS251