I decided to widen the machine when I started planning for the y axis.
I was going to have to cut down most rails anyway so I thought I’d rather have the extra capacity.
Also, while I had the entire assembly tore down, I decided to add the maple panels into the frame to rigidize the entire assembly. It has really made a big difference.
The y axis began with the guide bearings and some 2” angle.
I threaded the ends on the 80/20 rails and secured them to the angle. The plan is to add maple panels in these as well. I’ll cap these with a top maple panel and attach my horizontal rails to the front.
The gantry should be fairly rigid when fully assembled.
I’ve decided to focus more energy this year to completing this machine.
Unfortunately there is less of a budget this year than there was last year. Still, I’m gonna see this through.
UPDATE: put the gantry together last weekend… More pics to come.
-- "Hard work is not defined by the difficulty of the task as much as a person's desire to perform it.", DS251