It was one of those weekends where I did a lot of work, but it doesn’t LOOK like I did a lot of work.
I kept thinking about this giant shelf I am putting above this wall unit with lighting in it. Cleats alone aren’t going to be enough support. I need some brackets.
The Space for the Mosaic panel gives me room for some brackets, but I was going to need to fabricate them.
The local HD had some 3/4” tube steel in 36” lengths and I took it to my dads house where he has metal working tools.
It’s not pretty, but it will work for what I need.
I never claimed to be a welder. Good thing these will be completely hidden inside the shelf.
While I was reworking the support nailers, I added the wiring where it needs to go.
I added a touch sensor into the countertop to control the lights, but it didn’t photograph very well. A black button on a dark top in the shadows… Hmmm… It works cool though.
Here’s a view of the completed floating shelves waiting for finish.
The top shelf got prewired with xenon puck lights. I used some wiring clips typically used for trailer lights. They worked nicely for all these splices.
After a quick test to verify the wiring all worked, the shelf got closed up and prepped for finish.
It’s surprising how much time all that takes.
Next will be the Mosaic panel. My wife and I have narrowed it down a bit.
Looks like I will use the Maple plywood to create a substrate and we’ll (read I’ll) stitch up a veneer mosaic pattern to laminate to the face. I have leftover Maple, Red Oak, Sapele, Wenge, Macassar Ebony and Gunmetal Ebony veneers with which to do something cool.
And that was my weekend.
Well, just an update:
The top shelf and the floating shelves got finished.
I used a no-wipe stain that I had colored to match the Minwax Polyshades stuff.
This was so much easier and I could coat with Lacquer instead of a Poly product.
The Floating shelves were a nice snug fit. Now I just need to figure out how many guys it will take to lift the 165lb top shelf 8 feet into the air and onto the brackets. The Mosaic panel is on French cleats and will need to be installed before the top shelf goes up. (It still is being re-re-designed.)
That will be a fun time for sure.
The doors are mostly made and the backer substrate for the Mosaic panel is nearly done as well. (Sorry no photo right now.)
I suspect the Mosaic pattern will come down to an actuial size layout before the wife and I agree.
-- "Hard work is not defined by the difficulty of the task as much as a person's desire to perform it.", DS251